News & Articles

I’ve injured myself at work – what do i do?

I’ve injured myself at work – Can I claim Workers Compensation?

Unfortunately, we all know accidents can happen! If you are injured at or in the course of your employment, you may be eligible to claim workers compensation.

Compensable workplace injuries can include something as minor as a cut finger to more serious conditions such as a broken leg or even psychological illness.

Your injury may be related to work if it occurred in the following circumstances:

  • You’ve had an accident at or as a result of work.
  • Your health and wellbeing have been affected by work.
  • A pre-existing injury or illness is made worse in the workplace.

Who should I speak to first?

  1. If you have suffered an injury in any of the above circumstances, it is important that you report the incident to your manager or supervisor a soon as possible.
  2. You should also get medical attention or see your doctor as soon as you can so that they can assess your injury and provide treatment.
    • Tell your doctor you hurt yourself at work and your doctor should give you a ReturnToWorkSA Work Capacity Certificate. (Which is different from a standard medical certificate which your doctor might give you for a cold or flu.)

How do I make a claim?

Once you have the ReturnToWorkSA Work Capacity Certificate, you need to then lodge a claim with Return to Work SA. You can obtain a Claim Form from the ReturnToWorkSA website –

Return the Claim Form together with the RTWSA Work Capacity Certificate from your doctor to RTWSA.

If your claim for workers compensation is accepted, you will be entitled to compensation which can include:

  • medical expenses,
  • weekly payments, and
  • Possible lump sum payments for pain and suffering, and future loss of earning capacity.

If your claim is rejected, you have strict time limits in which to challenge the decision. It is extremely important that you seek legal advice, from a lawyer with expertise in dealing with workers compensation claims, within 30 days of the date of receiving the letter advising that your claim has been rejected.

If you have concerns, don’t wait; contact our team of experienced workers compensation lawyers at Georgiadis Lawyers.

Written by Jenny Pitchers who can be contacted on 08 8210 5418

This article is written in South Australia.

Translate »